Cooperative Flint Glass EAPG Currier & Ives Eulalia Water Goblet

Cooperative Flint Glass EAPG Currier & Ives Eulalia Water Goblet
Click To Enlarge
  • Item #: MF052711
  * Marked fields are required.
Qty*
Price $46.99
Availability In-Stock
# Available 1

Vintage From Paul is pleased to offer this stunning EAPG Cooperative Flint Glass Co Currier & Ives aka Eulalia Water Goblet. Eulalia or Currier and Ives was manufactured from 1889 to 1898.

The Cooperative Flint Glass Company started out as the Beaver Falls Co-operative Flint Glass Co. in 1869, later changing their name (in 1889) to Co-operative Flint Glass Co. The firm operated until 1937, closing due to the economic depression.

The pattern commonly called 'Currier & Ives' (commonly mistaken for having been made by Bellaire Goblet Co.) was actually a product of Cooperative Flint Glass Co. in the late 1880's. It was first reported to have been made in clear, amber, blue and milk glass. Approximately 35 different pieces were made in this pattern. The pattern picked up the name, 'Currier & Ives' due to the water tray. It pictures a 'balky mule' being pushed by two people. It reminded people of an old Currier & Ives print..

The Cooperative Flint Glass EAPG Currier & Ives Eulalia Water Goblet is in superb condition. There are no chips, cracks or sickness to the glass. The Currier & Ives water goblet was made from a three part mold.

The Cooperative Flint Glass EAPG Currier & Ives Eulalia Water Goblet stands 5-5/8 inches in height, measures 2-7/8 inches in diameter at the top and 3 inches in diameter at the foot.

We ship the day after payment is received using Insured Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Parcels are generally received in 2-3 days depending on your location.

History of Albany glass – Model Flint Glass Co.

Model Flint Glass Company was founded in Findlay, Ohio in 1888 by Anderson Cartwright Heck, Abraham L. Strasburger, Andrew L. Stephenson, William Parson, J. W. Davidson, William Stephenson, Elmer Stephenson and J. T. Leahy. The first factory manager was W. C. Walters, who was succeeded by William Russell.

Between the years of 1870 to 1890, the number of glass plants located in Ohio increased from 9 to 67, with an excess of a dozen located around Findlay. Natural gas was discovered in Findlay during the 1880s. With the offers of free gas, inexpensive and plentiful land provided a strong motivator to the glass industry to locate in the Findlay, Ohio area. In 1890, the city of Findlay started charging all consumers of natural gas a monthly rate. In 1892, Findlay experienced a natural gas shortage. Everyone thought that Findlay’s natural gas supply would last for several centuries, but by the 1890s, the natural gas supply had already been depleted by private companies. The Model Flint Glass Co. was forced to install an oil-burning system as a backup for the declining natural gas supply.

Model Flint’s colored glass production while in Findlay included: crystal, amber, blue and a rare black glass. There is no mention of frosted, stained, flashed or hand painted glass production prior to the move to Albany, IN. Patterns known to have been made at Findlay, OH included: Monongahela, #849 (Waffle), #850 (Square and Hobnail) also referred to as (Diagonal Bead & Bands). (Please note none of these patterns are rose bowl patterns.)

The Model Flint glass company’s Findlay, OH plant started glass production on October 2, 1893. By mid 1893, the Model Flint Glass Co decided to move to Albany, IN. The move was complete by October 25, 1893. The Model Flint Co. was newly built in Albany, IN with a 15-pot furnace, which gave the company a 25% increase in glass production over the old Findlay, Ohio facility. The new plant employed 150 people when it opened and grew to 250 employees with two furnaces holding 29 melting pots. They also had their own gas well, thus they were no longer dependent upon a gas company. Model Flint was under the impression they had a long term natural gas supply.

In the 1890s, Indiana was the top-ranking state in the U.S. for total glass production. It was reported that Indiana had 110 glass factories producing the entire range of glass products. The town of Albany grew from 571 residents in 1890 to a population of 2,116 by 1900. It is estimated that the town housed 3,000 people before the natural gas supply faded. Once again, free gas and cheap and plentiful land fed the industrial growth that in turn fed the commercial growth. Albany continued to grow until the natural gas supply ran out.

On October 26, 1899, Model Flint sold the facility to the National Glass Company. Model Flint was one of 19 plants purchased by the National Glass Co. By January of 1902, National decided to close some of its 19 plants. Later that year the Model Flint Glass Works was closed, never to be reopened. In retrospect, many glass companies during this time period made money until their free or cheap supply of natural gas ran out. Afterwards, it was difficult to continue operations.