McKee Glass Puritan Tall Compote

McKee Glass Puritan Tall Compote
Click To Enlarge
  • Item #: MCK040410a
  * Marked fields are required.
Qty*
Price $39.99
Availability In-Stock
# Available 1

We are pleased to offer this stunning Tall Compote from the McKee Glass Company of Jeannette Pennsylvania in the Puritan pattern.This pattern dates to 1910.

The bowl of the compote has a raised and scalloped rim. The Flowers have eight petals and are detailed with fine ribbing on the petals. the center of the flowers are finecut. separating the flowers is an elongated leaf design following the contour of the bowl of the compote.

The bulbous stem is comprised of indented hexagons, larger at the top and decreasing in size as the stem nears the foot.

The foot has the same floral motif. The round base has thirty (30) scallops.

The compote measures 4-3/4 inches in diameter at the top, 3-3/4 inches in diameter at the base. It stands 6-1/2 inches in height.

The piece has no chips, cracks or other defects.

This lovely piece has, over the years been exposed to the harsh Ultraviolet rays of the sun, and has turned a faint lilac in color. Beginning in the 1860's, glass makers in the United States started using manganese to give glass clarity instead of lead due to lead shortages created by the Civil War. Glass containing manganese eventually turns a light purple when exposed to sunlight, a side effect that was unknown at the time that this practice started. By roughly 1915, most companies in the United States switched from manganese to selenium to maintain clearness in their glass. Thus, with a few exceptions, including Heisey, Fostoria and Imperial, companies that produced this type of glass likely manufactured it from the 1860's to the years around 1915.

A Little History

McKee Glass Company began its life as McKee and Brothers Glass Works in Pittsburgh, PA in 1853. The factory later moved to Jeannette, PA, which was founded by H. Sellers McKee and named for his wife. In 1901, the National Glass Company took over the factory and ran it as McKee Glass until 1904. In 1904, National leased the factory to McKee-Jeannette Glass Company. It is this company that launched the patterns we now call the "tec" patterns.

The Introduction of the Patterns

In 1904, McKee was granted a patent for the Pres-Cut trademark. The trademark was used on pressed glassware that imitated the fine cut glass of the time. McKee introduced its new line with two patterns that had already been part of the line under National — Aztec and Toltec.

This new marketing approach was very successful as the line quickly gained popularity. Later that same year McKee added another former National pattern to the Pres-Cut line — Nortec. Fentec, the first McKee-designed pattern, was the next to be added. It also turned out to be the longest produced “Tec” pattern. Fentec can be seen in McKee catalogs as late as 1942. Two more patterns, Sextec and Bontec, were introduced in 1906.

The introduction of new “Tec” patterns slowed down in the years between 1908 and 1912, as the company once again reorganized, becoming the McKee Glass Company in 1908. While new Pres-Cut patterns were added during this time, only Yutec was named using the “Te” suffix.

1913 brought new activity to the “Tec” line. Between 1913 and 1915, eleven more patterns were added to the line: Bontec, Glentec, Carltec, Doltec, Plytec, Plutec, Quintec, Rotec, Startec, Valtec, and Wiltec.

Note: Some authors give 1894 as the date for some of the “Tec” patterns. It may be that some of these patterns were made at that time, however, documentation is conflicting. It is known that these patterns were called by their “Tec” names and added to the Pres-Cut line after 1904./

Identifying “Tec” Patterns

Many, but not all, “Tec” patterns are found with a Pres-Cut trademark.

We ship the day after payment is received using Insured Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Parcels are generally received in 2-3 days depending on your location.

Related Items