Royal Schwarzburg Antique Yellow Rose Serving Platter

Royal Schwarzburg Antique Yellow Rose Serving Platter
Click To Enlarge
  • Item #: RS080310
  * Marked fields are required.
Price $34.99
Availability In-Stock
# Available 1

vintage From Paul is delighted to offer this antique Royal Schwarzburg, Royal Rudolstadt Yellow Rose Serving Platter. The back stamp, done in green indicates that this platter was manufactured between 19924 and 1930.

The pattern is a pristine body edged in a single black stripe. The focal point is the cascades of deep yellow roses accented withblack leaves and foliage which caress the upper rim of the platter.

The Royal Schwarzburg Antique Yellow Rose Serving Platter is hallmarked in green with" Royal Schwarzburg", and the Royal Schwarzburg crest. In block lettering, also in green is "Bavaria"".

The Royal Schwarzburg Antique Yellow Rose Serving Platter measures 11 inches in length, 7-1/4 inches in width.

The Royal Schwarzburg Antique Yellow Rose Serving Platter is in mint condition with no chips, cracks, crazing or yellowing. The graphics are crisp, the colors vibrant.

We ship the day after payment is received using Insured Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Parcels are generally received in 2-3 days depending on your location.

Royal Schwarzburg

The company of Lazarus Straus & Sons was founded in 1869 and successfully specialized on the import and resale of glass and ceramics. By 1874 Nathan Straus (Lazarus' son) had convinced the company of R.H. Macy (Macy's) to allow small shop-in-shop based glass and chinaware department in each of their stores. Business quickly increased and so the US-based 'New York and Rudolstadt Pottery Co. Inc.' was founded in 1882 with their subsidiary in Germany supplying the Straus business with own porcelain products in the range of luxury goods like figures, elaborate coffee sets and such.

At first the company in Germany only concentrated on the items created in the Rudolstadt factory but with expanding business and the following opening of further subsidiaries in both France (decoration studio in the Limoges area) and Austrian Bohemia (second studio and warehouse near Carlsbad) in 1891 the Rudolstadt-based company also started to function as coordinator and export relay for all subsidiaries while the London-based (and more glass-related) business remained nearly independent. It shoud be mentioned here that already in 1913 the German factory employed around 300 workers, roughly one third of those were occupied with export transactions only.</>

The different subsidiaries used own marks and so one normally encounters specialized German, French or Austrian versions. However there also are two exceptions: next to the typical French 'L.S.&S. Limoges' and Austrian 'L.S.&S. Carlsbad' versions the most used mark is the German version showing a crowned lozenge with the initials 'RW' standing for 'Rudolstadt Works'. That mark together with the more elaborate 'CROWN RUDOLSTADT' type was *not* only used for the German business but also used for items from the Austrian Bohemian deals made exclusively with the company of Oscar & Edgar Gutherz. The reason for this deviation from the normal procedure of using the 'L.S.&S. Carlsbad' mark like on items for example purchased from Moritz Zdekauer was that Lazarus' son Nathan as the main director of the German factory and central purchasing coordinator was married to the sister of Oscar and Edgar, Lena Gutherz. The business relationship by the way also included the financial backing of the Gutherz business by Straus & Sons and as if all that was not confusing enough Edgar Gutherz himself was actually married to a woman named Lina.

During the first years the company in Germany at first disregarded thoughts of marking their items but with increasing business and thoughts of further expansion it became obvious that one should introduce some sort of trademark. The first documented mark of the German company was the version registered on May 22nd 1896, which was introduced as an own marking for their products after the acquisition of Macy's department stores and was one of the last introductions by Lazarus Straus who died the same year. That first mark was used without additions until 1904 when the company registered another mark, the basic 'eagle-on-shield' . Following the introduction of the eagle mark, the crowned 'RW' was continued with the additions 'Germany' and 'Rudolstadt' until 1924, the year which not only saw the introduction of the '(Royal) Schwarzburg' mark but also the US company reforming under the name of Nathan Straus & Co.

In that context it should be mentioned that some sources incorrectly state that the 'RW' mark was only used until 1918, the result of a translation error that has to do with various people and their connections to Straus & Sons. To keep it short, 1918 was the year that the Gutherz brothers together with other businessmen founded the OEPIAG (later EPIAG) and in this context the use of the old Straus import marking on Gutherz items was officially canceled while the mark itself remained in use until 1924.

Related Items